Cheerwine, the iconic, family-owned soft drink from Salisbury, N.C., is thanking its fans for “100 years of cheer” by throwing an anniversary celebration in its birthplace and hometown.
Cheerwine’s Centennial Celebration will take place from noon to 8 p.m. on Saturday, May 20, in downtown Salisbury, N.C., on North Main Street.
“This party is a celebration of our loyal fans, our home state and all of the people who’ve helped make Cheerwine the iconic beverage it is today,” said Joy Harper, head of marketing for Cheerwine and the great-great-granddaughter of Cheerwine’s founder.
The Centennial Celebration will celebrate “all things Carolina” with an N.C. BBQ competition, local food, independent bands and more.
At the free event, attendees will enjoy:
- Free Cheerwine and commemorative koozies.
- Limited edition Cheerwine merchandise available for purchase starting at noon (limited quantities of commemorative Cheerwine signs and other items).
- Live music from Time Sawyer, Gyth Rigdon, Empire Strikes Brass, Acoustic Syndicate and Roomful of Blues.
- People’s Choice BBQ Competition (from noon-2 p.m.) with Hog Heaven Barbecue, NC Ribs on Wheels, Rocky Top BBQ, Boone’s Bar-B-Que and Smoke & Go BBQ. Attendees can sample BBQ from each team and vote for their favorites. Smithfield is the competition’s pork sponsor.
- Food from Cheerwine’s partners and friends, including Krispy Kreme (fresh doughnuts made in its “Hot Now Mobile Store”), Bojangles, Fatz Café, Biscuitville, Select Bakery (serving Cheerwine cake), Cackalacky (which makes a “Cheerwine Sweet Sauce”) and King of Pops (which will offer a Cheerwine-flavored popsicle).
- Biergarten with N.C. craft beer, featuring The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery, New Sarum Brewing Company and Morgan Ridge Railwalk Brewery.
- Family-friendly kids’ zone, with magicians, jugglers, rock climbing wall, obstacle course, slides, bounce house, lawn games and more.
- Free tour of Rowan Museum’s multi-room exhibit celebrating Cheerwine’s 100 years. This will include a visit by the historic 1927 Cheerwine Ford Truck.
Festival goers are also encouraged to bring donations of non-perishable food items or money for the Food Lion Feeds and Rowan Helping Ministries canned food drive. For every two food items or five dollars donated, fans will be entered to win a gift basket.
To RSVP for the Centennial Celebration and to stay up to date on event details and transportation options, click here.
To simplify travel to and from Cheerwine’s Centennial Celebration, the brand has partnered with Amtrak to offer a discounted transportation alternative. Trains will run from Charlotte and Raleigh to Salisbury, with stops at all stations in between. The Amtrak Salisbury Station is just steps away from the action, and Cheerwine will be served to riders while supplies last. To receive a special 15 percent discount, fans can book via amtrak.com/ncsave15.
Throughout 2017, Cheerwine will continue rolling out new editions in its centennial can series (with $100 instant-win cans sprinkled throughout 12 packs). Cheerwine fans are invited to collect all seven cans in the series before the end of the year.
In honor of Cheerwine’s centennial, Salisbury’s Rowan Museum is hosting a special exhibit throughout 2017. The exhibit showcases a century of Cheerwine memorabilia, artifacts and photos. Click here for more details on the exhibit.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.